When I asked on Instagram topics you wanted me to focus on, one that called my attention was this one. So I decided to do several series. This first one is how to set up a formal dinner or lunch table.
Then I will do one with a round table (which is quite confusing to know which one is your bread plate) and finally how to handle yourself at a formal dinner.
So lets get started with how to set up a basic formal table.
Here are the following tips to setting up or sitting down in a formal table. It can be quite daunting because sometimes you don’t know what is yours and what it the other persons.
- You can use a tablecloth or place mat, depends on the theme or material you wish to use
- Use a flat bottomed dish as decoration and then on top the dish for the main course.
- Always the utensils go from outside in. Which means appetiser or soup go on the outside and then work your way in to the main course.
- Utensils for dessert go on top of the plates
- Salad plate goes on the left side of the table and bread plate goes on top a bit to the side of that one
- Glasses go on the top right
Hope these simple steps help you with setting your first dinner table or when you are at an event.